True Blue Charmer

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Serving Cheerfully . . . . . .






I was told by a couple of people that I reminded them of a 50's housewife. What does that mean? I know I do often where my stilettos in the kitchen:) I think because I like to bake, I like to wear dresses, decorate, entertain. That's all I can figure out! Stereotypes?

When I think of a 50's housewife, the image in my mind is often like the pictures above, but there is something else that I think of a 50's housewife. Do you think of a wife that stayed home? A wife that met her husband at the door with a kiss and a smile? A wife that cooked and cleaned and baked and tried to keep her family happy? One that brought the family to the dinner table each night together?

Those may be stereotypical thoughts on my part. But I also think that they are things that I should be striving for, as a Christian wife and mother.

On days when I complain about "more laundry" or "more dishes", I should be thankful that we have the clothes to wash. That I have food to serve my family. I need to remember to be more cheerful. When hubby works late, instead of being crabby, why don't I greet him with a kiss and kind words of appreciation for his hard work to provide for us.

Love and respect will go much further than my critical words would!

Many of us who are stay at home wives and moms need to remember that we are not "just" that. We are servants of another kind. God has given us talents and gifts that we are to use to serve, and many times this starts within our own homes. We can only be effective servants to a hurting world, when we first serve our Lord, and our husbands and children. And there is joy that comes in doing that!

How are you serving?

1 Peter 4:10-11
As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it were, the utterances of God; whoever serves, let him do so as by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.



"A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. ~ Proverbs 31:10"

No comments: