True Blue Charmer

Monday, June 13, 2016

Ikea Hack Office Project

I recently had the opportunity to create an office space for myself.  I really wanted shelving along one wall that was built in.  My husband was super busy with work and didn't have the time to tackle such a project.  I looked at bookshelves that would give me a built in look, but they would have cost me a small fortune and not quite give me the look I wanted in the end. That's when I decided to do an "Ikea Hack".  I took the truck and headed to Ikea, about an hour and a half away from where I live.  I was actually pretty proud that I did it by myself.  When you are determined, it's amazing what you can accomplish!
We first pulled out the old, nasty carpet from the room and put in hardwood.  Then a fresh coat of paint.  (This was going to be done even before I decided to make it an office space for myself.  My husband had his office here for years, and he was moving his office to a new space.)
Sorry for the picture quality.  I found it difficult any time of day to get the lighting right for pictures.

Once the room was complete, I put together my Billy's shelving units that I picked up at Ikea.  It took me a few hours to complete the task, but was very easy. (I have the same shelves in my closet for my shoes, so it's something I have done many times!)

My son helped me move the shelves into place, and then it was my husbands turn to help.  He added trim between each shelf and then some boards on top to bring the height to the ceiling.  Once he accomplished this, he added more trim and some crown moulding to help give it that built-in look.  I painted everything white, and was THRILLED with the outcome.

I moved my desk into the space from another room. It was black, and I used chalk paint to make it grey.

All in all, I think the project was easy and inexpensive.  I paid less than $70.00 for each book case.  I would say the whole construction aspect of the project, including the shelving, was under $400.00  The book cases that I had priced for the wall unit would have been a total of close to $4,000.00 and they would not have had the trim or moulding to make them look built in.

In my next post I will show you how I decorated the room, and the great storage options I purchased for it.  Thanks for checking out my project!

In His Love ~ Kim
"With Jesus in Her Heart, and Coffee in Her Cup" 

No comments: